PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE A DELINQUENT TAX SALE TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 AT 10:00 A.M. Check back in July 2021 for a list of the properties that will be offered for sale!
Sullivan County Delinquent Tax Sale “Rules of the Road” and Terms and Conditions of the sale
- All properties are being sold in “as is, where is” with no warranties as to condition or title. Prospective bidders are required to perform due diligence prior to bidding at the auction. This means the prospective bidder must personally seek any information required for the prospective bidder to determine whether the property is suitable for purchase.
- If you are the successful bidder you must pay 100% of your bid amount immediately following the auction. We will accept personal checks, cashier’s check, cash or credit cards. If you choose to pay with a credit card there is a 3% convenience fee that will be added.
- The opening bid amount includes all delinquent taxes owed in the Clerk and Master’s Office as of the date of the tax sale. This amount includes all delinquent County and City taxes owed in the Clerk and Master’s Office. Unless otherwise notated on the bidder’s list, the opening bid does not include any taxes owed in the Sullivan County Trustee’s Office or taxes owed to the City of Kingsport, the City of Bristol or the City of Bluff City in the City Recorder’s Office. These properties are being sold subject to those taxes.
- The bidding process shall occur as follows:
- The Clerk and Master shall call the properties individually by stating the owner’s name and property address. The Clerk and Master shall then start the bidding at the opening bid amount on the property list.
- If you are interested in bidding on the property, the Clerk and Master will accept an opening bid for the amount on the property list.
- Once an opening bid has been made, all subsequent bids shall be as follows:
- The second bid will be rounded up to the next closest increment. (example: if the opening bid is $5,959.35 then the subsequent bid shall be $6,000.00 or if the opening bid is 524.92 then the subsequent bid shall be $600.00)
- Minimum of $100.00 increments up to $5,000.00.
- Minimum of $500.00 increments up to $20,000.00.
- Minimum of $1,000.00 increments thereafter.
- Any bid for less than the minimums will not be accepted by the Clerk and Master.
- If no one bids on the property then the Clerk and Master bids the property in at the opening bid amount and the property shall be sold to Sullivan County for the amount of taxes owed to Sullivan County.
- All properties are being sold subject to Court Approval and the right of redemption.
- The redemption period begins to run on the date of the Court’s Order Confirming the Sale NOT the date of the sale.
- The redemption periods are as follows:
- If the period of delinquency is five (5) years or less the redemption period is one (1) year from entry of the Order Confirming the Sale.
- If the period of delinquency is more than five (5) years but less than eight (8) years, the redemption period shall be one hundred eighty (180) days from the entry of the Order Confirming the Sale.
- If the period of delinquency is eight (8) years or more, the redemption period shall be ninety (90) days from the entry of the Order Confirming the Sale.
- If a property is notated as being owned by Sullivan County there is no redemption period.
- If a property is redeemed, you will be notified by the Clerk and Master’s office of the court date for the redemption and will have an opportunity to object to the redemption at that time.
- If the property is redeemed you will receive twelve percent (12%) per annum interest on your bid amount. This amount is calculated by the Clerk and Master’s Office at the time of redemption.
- If you incur any statutorily allowed expenses during the redemption period it is your responsibility to notify the Clerk and Master’s Office in timely manner so that those amounts can be added to the redemption fee. Statutorily allowed expenses include, but may not be limited to, any property taxes owed in the Trustee’s Office, any city taxes that may be owed against the property in the Clerk and Master’s Office and/or the City Recorder’s Office or home owner’s insurance. You must provide invoices and proof of payment to the Clerk and Master’s Office along with a Petition for Reimbursement. The Petition for Reimbursement can be picked up and filled out at the Clerk and Master’s Office.
- Finally, once the redemption period has expired the Delinquent Tax Attorney will prepare a Clerk and Master Deed. The deeds are usually prepared by the Delinquent Tax Attorney and reviewed by the Clerk and Master within 30 days from the expiration of the redemption period. You will be contacted by the Clerk and Master’s Office when your Deed is ready and available to be picked up at the Clerk and Master’s Office. It is your responsibility to record the Clerk and Master’s Deed and pay any applicable transfer taxes and/or recordation fees to the Register’s Office.
Thank you and good luck bidding!
Clerk and Master for Sullivan County Chancery Court